Sample 2010 B.E.C.E Questions (Mathematics)
WARNING: SINCE POSTING THESE _SAMPLE_ QUESTIONS, MANY PEOPLE HAVE WRITTEN TO ME AND LEFT COMMENTS ON THIS PAGE THANKING ME FOR “THE APO”. SORRY TO DISAPPOINT YOU, BUT AS THE TITLE CLEARLY SAYS, THESE ARE JUST SAMPLE QUESTIONS MEANT TO SHOW STUDENTS THE FORMAT OF B.E.C.E QUESTIONS. IF YOU WANT TO PASS YOUR EXAMS, JUST GO PICK YOUR BOOKS AND STUDY, AND DON’T FORGET TO PRAY. THAT’S THE ONLY SURE AND ETHICAL WAY TO SUCCEED IN YOUR EXAMS AND IN LIFE.
Something seem very clear about the 2010 B.E.C.E. Students who cannot think in the examination room will not perform very well. Sample questions that were received from W.A.E.C shows that a lot of thinking would be required by students who wants to excel. Below is sample mathematics questions for 2010 B.E.C.E.
1. How many subsets has the set P = ( –1, 0, 2)?
A. 8 B. 6 C. 4 D. 3
2. A man spends 1/3 of his salary on his salary on his children’s education and 2/5 of the remainder on accommodation. What fraction of the salary is left? A. 5/9 B. 1/8 C. 2/5 D. 3/5
3. Evaluate a/b, if a = 1/2 and b = 1/4.
A. 4 B. 3 C. 2 D. 1
4. Nana Yaa receives 20% commission in her weekly sales. In a week if she receives GH800.00 as a commission, calculate her total sales for the week. A. GH1,200.00 B. GH2,400.00 C. GH3,200.00 D. GH4,000.00
5. A basket contains 15 oranges and 25 mangoes. What is the probability of selecting a mango from the basket?
A. 1/15 B. 1/25 C. 3/8 D. 5/8
6. Multiply 0.0012 x 0.02 leaving the answer in standard form
A. 2.4 x 10^5 B. 2.4 x 10^4 C. 2.4 x 10^-4 D. 2.4 x 10^-5
7. Write the bearing S40oE as a three figure bearing
A. 140o B. 040o C. 220o D. 320o
8. If vector b = ( 2 ) and 2a – b = ( 6 ), find the vector a
( 3 ) ( 7 )
A. 4 B. 4 C. -4 D. 8
5 4 5 10
9. What is the next term of the sequence 1, 2, 3, 5, 8 …….?
A. 10 B. 11 C. 12 D. 13
10. The scale of a map is 1: 10000. The distance between two points on the map is 4cm. What is the actual distance between the points?
A. 4m B. 40m C. 400m D. 4000m
13. The total number of match sticks in 6 match boxes was 270. Find the total number of sticks in 20 similar boxes.
A. 710 B. 800 C. 810 D. 900
14. A car travels at an average speed of 45 km per hour. What distance does it cover in 12 hours.
A. 450km B. 480km C. 500km D. 450km
15. Calculate the simple interest on GH130,000.00 for 2 1/2years at 12% per annum. A. GH78,000.00 B. GH39,000.00 C. GH36,000.00 D. GH31,200.00
16. Express 2/5 as a percentage A. 20% B. 25% C. 40% D. 80%
17. Kwame gets a commission of 20% on bread sold. In one week, Kwame’s commission was GH45.000.00. How much bread did he sell during that week? A. GH205,000.00 B. GH220,000.00 C. GH225.000.00 D. GH235,000.00
18. Write 83000 in standard form.
A. 8.3 x 10-4 B. 8.3×10-3 C. 8.3 x 103 D. 8.3xl04
Use the information to answer questions 19 and 20
The following are the marks obtained by pupils in a test: 2, 3, 5, 2, 3, 4, 2, 3, 5, 3.
19. What is the mode? A. 2 B. 3 C. 4 D. 5
20. Calculate the mean. A. 3.0 B. 3.2 C. 4.0 D. 4.2
1a. Of the 53 pupils of Kofikrom Junior High School, 36 take tea, 18 take coffee and 10 take neither tea nor coffee.
i. Draw a Venn diagram to illustrate this information
ii. Using your diagram, determine the number that takes both tea and coffee.
b. Three church bells toll at intervals of 5, 12 and 15 minutes respectively. If they toll together at 12.00noon on a given day, when next will they toll together?
c. Copy and complete the magic square below so that the sum along the rows, columns and diagonal are the same equal to 15
4 5 7
2a Find the area of the shaded portion
c. The ratio of the sheep to goats on a farm is 4: 7. If there are 1,428 sheep, find how many goats are on the farm.
The table below shows the scores of some students in an examination
From the table, find:
i. How many students wrote the examination
ii. The modal score
iii. The number of students who scored 7 or more
iv. The mean score correct to one decimal place.
4a Using a ruler and of compasses only, construct a triangle ABC and /AB/= 6cm, /AC/= 8cm and angle BAC= 30o. Construct the bisector of angle ACB to meet the line AB at D.
i. Measure /AD/ and /BD/ ii. Write down the ratio /AD/ : /BD/
b. A rectangular water tank has length 80cm, width 40cm and height 50cm. Find,
i. Find the total surface area of the tank when closed
ii. The volume of the tank
iii. The height of the water in the tank, if the tank contains 80,000cm3 of water.